Location: San Francisco, CA
Reports to: Senior Policy Analyst, Energy Policy Solutions program
Energy Innovation is seeking a smart, highly motivated Energy Data Analyst with a technical background and strong quantitative skills to join our team. This position will be part of the Energy Policy Solutions team and report to the Senior Policy Analyst.
Position Responsibilities: The Energy Data Analyst will focus their time on policy, energy and climate modeling. The data analyst will work with other staff to create, modify, and run energy and climate models, including the Energy Policy Simulator (built in-house at Energy Innovation). Tasks will include data hunting, transformation, and management; learning how to use these models and how to run them; running and debugging models; extracting information from the models, and interpreting and reporting on the results, for example through creating charts, slides, and memos. Advanced proficiency in Excel is required and experience in computer programming, particularly with energy and climate models, is desired. The Energy Data Analyst should also have some background in energy systems analysis to support this work. While the data analyst is not expected to understand these models upon joining, they are expected to learn them through hands-on training and to be comfortable with learning new software in general.
The data analyst will also work with staff to research new energy, climate, and technology data, and to integrate these data into our models. The ideal candidate is comfortable obtaining information from diverse sources, such as reports, data hunting, computer models, academic journal articles, and by attending presentations and conducting interviews.
Profile of the Successful Candidate: The successful candidate will have the following minimum qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in energy- or environment-related field.
- One or more years of work experience in energy systems data, modeling, and/or analysis.
- An understanding in energy and climate models, is a plus. While not expected to have a familiarity with energy systems modeling upon first joining, the successful candidate must be eager to learn through inhouse training and be comfortable with learning new software in general.
- All of the following:
- Top notch quantitative analytical skills.
- Strong understanding of the fundamentals of scientific and technical subject matter relating to environmental systems and energy technologies.
- Interest in and familiarity with U.S. and international politics and policy.
- Self-motivated and entrepreneurial.
- Team player with a commitment to working in a diverse team.
- Eager to take on a wide variety of tasks and help with all aspects of a small organization.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and be flexible in a fast-paced, constantly evolving and collaborative environment.
- Collegial approach, excellent interpersonal skills, and a sense of humor.
Equal Opportunity: Energy Innovation is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition.
Salary and Benefits: Energy Innovation provides a competitive compensation package, including a salary commensurate with
qualifications and experience, and a comprehensive benefits package. We actively welcome all candidates from a wide range of backgrounds who have the skills to fulfill this role.
To Apply: Position is open until filled. Please submit an email with “Energy Data Analyst Application” in the subject line, a cover letter, and resume to email@example.com. Please provide all information electronically; no phone calls.