Location: San Francisco, CA or Washington, DC
Reports to: Director of Communications
Energy Innovation is seeking a smart, motivated, experienced media relations specialist with outstanding writing skills and a working knowledge of energy and climate policy to join our team. In this newly created position, the Communications Deputy Director reports to and partners with the Communications Director to set and execute strategy for media relations, thought leadership, online communications, external messages, and analytics. The Deputy Director ensures Energy Innovation’s position is non-partisan and fact-based, providing rigorous analysis and data for media, policymakers, and climate advocates.
Media Relations & Thought Leadership
- Work with Communications Director to produce tailor-made strategies to attract positive, high-level media across geographic scales and sectors, including thought-leader coverage to the firm’s major reports, analysis, technical briefs, and other products.
- Maintain existing media relationships, develop new relationships with reporters covering climate and energy policy issues, and pitch Energy Innovation’s expertise and work products to secure media coverage.
- Collaborate with staff to help produce written material that is timely and impactful, manage deadlines, and ensure guidelines are met.
- Coordinate staff webinars, interview preparation, and media training led by the Communications Director.
- Contribute bylined articles discussing Energy Innovation’s policy recommendations and research for placement in target national and local media outlets.
- Support contingency plans for any adverse media for our partners and funders. Work with funders’ staff on plans and execution.
- Stay abreast of political and policy considerations in Congress, the federal administration, state governments, and key international regions to recommend relevant media outreach efforts that influence policy debates.
Digital Assets, Engagement, And Analytics
- Develop online strategy and analytics for all websites operated by Energy Innovation while regularly producing and posting new content, including news coverage, blog posts, publications, and program pages.
- Develop a social media strategy via various platforms, including LinkedIn, Twitter, and YouTube to ensure a regular presence and consistent messaging for Energy Innovation.
- Manage email campaigns for Energy Innovation’s email newsletters and develop strategies for improving subscriber engagement and adding new subscribers.
- Deep interest in, passion for, and commitment to reducing the negative impacts of climate change, understanding what is at stake, and ready to boldly tackle some of the most complex challenges facing humanity, reflected in a clear and inspiring commitment to the mission and impact of Energy Innovation.
- 7+ years of work experience in the following areas:
- Communications, including media relations, writing, content development, and presentations.
- Policy Analysis and Advocacy, e.g., at a nonprofit, a member of political staff, etc.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate research and analysis to the media.
- Proven track record developing and executing strategies to reach specialized audiences with targeted messages via direct communications.
- Strong ability to write for a variety of media, including online and print publications, as well as briefing papers.
- Experience and demonstrated skill in website development and management, particularly WordPress.
- Familiarity with and interest in communicating and engaging with the public through social media.
- Detail-oriented, with proven organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision across multiple teams.
- Ability to set clear priorities, keen analytic, organizational, and problem-solving skills that enable sound decision making and ensure proper follow-through while monitoring actions and results.
- Eager to take on a wide variety of tasks and help with all aspects of a small company.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and be flexible in a fast-paced, constantly evolving and highly collaborative environment.
- Understanding of energy technology and climate science and a passion for clean energy and climate issues.
- Collegial approach, excellent interpersonal skills, and a sense of humor.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in a relevant field (writing, environmental science, and/or policy coursework).
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign and Illustrator).
- Proficiency in graphic design or experience managing contractors in graphics production.
Equal Opportunity: Energy Innovation values diversity in all its forms and is committed to an inclusive and transparent recruitment process. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, sexual orientation, sexual identity, age, religion, creed, disability (actual or perceived), medical condition including genetic characteristics, marital status, domestic partnership status, citizenship, military service, height, weight, HIV/AIDS status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance. People of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary And Benefits: Energy Innovation provides a competitive compensation package, including a salary commensurate with qualifications and experience, and a comprehensive benefits package. This position is located in San Francisco, CA or Washington, DC.
Application Procedure: To apply or nominate a candidate, please send a resume, cover letter and two brief original writing samples to email@example.com with “Communications Deputy Director Search” in the subject line. Submission in a combined PDF or Microsoft Word file is preferred. This position is open until filled, with an initial application deadline of 5PM PDT on Friday, July 30, 2021. Candidate review and phone screens begin immediately and will be conducted throughout the search period.