Location: San Francisco, CA or Washington, DC
Reports to: Director of Communications
Energy Innovation is seeking a smart, motivated, experienced communications professional with media relations experience, excellent writing skills, and a working knowledge of energy and climate policy to join our team. The Communications Deputy Director will report directly to the Communications Director to set and execute strategy for media relations, online communications, external messages, and analytics. The position will ensure Energy Innovation’s position is non-partisan and fact-based, providing rigorous analysis and data for policymakers and climate advocates.
- Maintain existing media relationships, develop new relationships with reporters covering climate and energy policy issues, and pitch Energy Innovation’s expertise and work products to secure media coverage.
- Help develop custom outreach strategies to secure positive media coverage, along with thought leadership coverage of the firm’s major reports, analysis, technical briefs, and other products.
- Coordinate staff webinars, interview preparation, and media training.
- Develop online strategy and analytics for all websites operated by Energy Innovation while regularly producing and posting new content including news coverage, blog posts, publications, and program pages.
- Develop a social media strategy via various platforms including LinkedIn, Twitter, and YouTube to ensure a regular presence and consistent messaging for Energy Innovation.
- Manage email campaigns for Energy Innovation’s email newsletters, develop strategy for improving subscriber engagement, and adding new subscribers.
- Contribute bylined articles discussing Energy Innovation’s policy recommendations and research for placement in target national and local media outlets.
- Stay abreast of political and policy considerations in Congress, the federal administration, state governments, and key international regions to recommend relevant media outreach efforts that influence policy debates.
- Graduate degree in a relevant field preferred, with a superior academic record (writing, environmental science, and/or policy coursework).
- Five or more years of work experience in the following areas:
- Communications, including media relations, writing, content development, and presentations.
- Policy Analysis and Advocacy, e.g. at a nonprofit, a member of a political staff, etc.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate research and analysis to the media.
- Experience developing and executing strategies to reach specialized audiences with targeted messages via direct communications.
- Experience writing for a variety of media, including online and print publications, as well as briefing papers.
- Experience and demonstrated skill in website development and management, particularly WordPress.
- Familiarity with and interest in communicating with the public through social media.
- Detail-oriented, with proven organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision across multiple teams
- Understanding of energy technology and climate science, and a passion for clean energy and climate issues.
- Collegial approach, excellent interpersonal skills, and a sense of humor.
Equal Opportunity: Energy Innovation is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition.
Salary and Benefits: Energy Innovation provides a competitive compensation package, including a salary commensurate with
qualifications and experience, and a comprehensive benefits package.
To Apply: Position is open until filled. Please submit an email with “Communications Deputy Director Application” in the subject line, a cover letter, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide all information electronically; no phone calls.